Design Musings

Random and not-so-random thoughts on interaction design, usability, photography, writing, and any other design-oriented topics that come to mind. Maybe even architecture, as I'm learning about that from my SO.       – Elizabeth Buie

08 November 2006

The hair of the...

A couple of weeks ago I went to Chicago for the first time in more than a decade. It was a business trip and I had only a little over an hour the last day for exploring... but I had heard of the pavilion in Millennium Park, and I was curious. On the way in from the airport, the shuttle driver had pointed it out and said it looked "like something attacked by a bad can opener." An architect friend in Chicago dismissed that, so I decided I need to see it up close.

The Jay Pritzker Pavilion is made of stainless steel ribbons and connects to a network of steel pipes that criss-cross over the lawn that sits beyond the amphitheater seats. It's interesting, and up close its details can be quite beautiful. But as a whole I find it a mess.

I disagree with the shuttle driver, though: It doesn't look like something attacked by a bad can opener.

It looks like the head of a robot on a bad hair day.

P.S. After I wrote this, I noticed that the park's own web site (see above) describes it as a "headdress". Guess Gehry achieved what he wanted, anyhow.

1 Comments:

At 08 December, 2006 12:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your website.

http://www.aesthetic-images.com/ebuie/index.html

I, too, am an INFP with a wide range of interests (from human to technical). I am early in my career, so it was great to see someone who has built a career from a wide range of interests.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home