Design Musings

Random and not-so-random thoughts on interaction design, usability, photography, writing, and any other design-oriented topics that come to mind. Maybe even architecture, as I'm learning about that from my SO.       – Elizabeth Buie

10 October 2006

The Treo 600 as a phone

One word: Phooey!

I don't like the Treo as a phone. Here's why:

  • It doesn't have voice-activated calling, as far as I can tell. With my old phone, I could push a button and say "Dan" -- and presto! my SO's phone would be ringing.
  • I have to take too many actions to do anything. To make a call I have to do the following:
    1. Press the "phone" button
    2. Press the "center" button to take it off "hold"
    3. Either (a) type in the number using those teenincey keys or sorta-small on-screen buttons, or (b) type the shortcut key I reserved for one of my "favorites" (dontcha just hate the ubiquitous Windows terminology? sheesh) or press the "up" key to go to favorites and then press the key associated with my "favorite" (and if that favorite is not on the first page of favorites, take out the stylus and touch the number for the page I think it's on).
  • The sound quality and the signal are not as good. This may be due to the shorter antenna. My old phone had a longer antenna inside, that I could pull out to get a better signal (and to get it farther away from my head, although I have no idea whether it was far enough to make any difference).
But I'm going to continue with it for a while. I paid Verizon $20 to activate it (because I didn't buy it from them) and at least I don't have to carry two devices. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

At 11 October, 2006 21:36, Blogger The Lizard said...

Gadgets and user interfaces won't improve until the generation that is designing them reaches 50 and, in unguarded moments, finds themselves saying "WHO THE HELL DESIGNED THIS????".

Eyes no longer 20, fingers no longer slim, temperament no longer "whatevvvvverrrrr", and common sense shaped by longer experience, these folks will eventually discover the real world they have made, and then it can change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home