Design Musings

Random and not-so-random thoughts on interaction design, usability, photography, writing, and any other design-oriented topics that come to mind. Maybe even architecture, as I'm learning about that from my SO.       – Elizabeth Buie

25 April 2006

"Hold the elevator!"

Go to a conference on human factors or human-computer interaction, and I bet you'll find that the most common elevator topic is the design of the button panel in the conference hotel's elevators.

This post has been moved to Done Bright! The Luminanze Blog

6 Comments:

At 26 April, 2006 09:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An elegant solution to a timeless problem. You realize if you could somehow get a licence or patent or intellectual property rights to this solution you could end up with squillions? At even one tenth of a cent per enlarged button you'd rake it huge amounts. Yeah, I know, just dreaming.
Mikel Azure.

 
At 27 April, 2006 01:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice, ever tried pushing the close-button and the number of the wished floor together ? you will go there instantly overriding all other passengers hits :-)

 
At 27 April, 2006 05:46, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Mikel. I thought of that, and what dissuaded me from trying is that I suspect I'd have to build one.

 
At 27 April, 2006 14:29, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Mikel, I got to thinking... and I realized that I wouldn't have to build one; I'd just have to create detailed drawings (and of course an explanation). Hmmm...

 
At 02 June, 2006 04:02, Blogger Mark McLellan said...

Of course I wonder what you would get if you Googled "Lift buttons".

It is not just the Open / Close buttons but the layout of the floor buttons: Inconsistent Man Machine Interface

and what happens when you press the floor buttons: Life like a Goldfish

Also suprised the PC world of US hasn't picked up on the colour bias (see second link).

 
At 02 June, 2006 07:23, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Mark, I agree about the inconsistent arrangements of the floor buttons. But they have been written about already.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home