Design Musings

Random and not-so-random thoughts on interaction design, usability, photography, writing, and any other design-oriented topics that come to mind. Maybe even architecture, as I'm learning about that from my SO.       – Elizabeth Buie

01 November 2006

Treo 600 --> 650

Well, I fried my Treo 600 (don't ask), and I now have a 650. The 650 has a few features I like better than the 600's:
  • It operates more like a cell phone:
    • It has a clear "hang up" button (the usual phone symbol in red).
    • This same button serves (when pressed and held) to connect or disconnect the handset from the wireless network. (The 600 uses a button at the top of the handset, which is more easily pressed by accident.)
  • The "To do" function has been renamed to "Tasks".
  • The keyboard buttons are larger (a teeny bit, but it helps), arranged better (the rows are slightly curved), and easier to read (better text/background contrast). Evidently, someone did some human factors on this thing.
  • The "Home" and "Menu" buttons have been taken out of the keyboard and moved to a position just above the function buttons. This makes good sense, because these buttons invoke specific functions and are not text keys.
  • The Alt button has been moved to the right side of the space bar. This helps prevent it from being accidentally pressed when the Shift button is intended.
  • Supposedly it will support voice dialing if I download the right app. Haven't looked yet, though.

The 650 has one feature I don't like as well as the 600's:
  • The USB connection accessory is just a cord and no longer has a holder that sits on the desk. The sales guy told me it was because people travel with them and Palm wanted to make them smaller. But I find it to be less convenient. And really, the desktop thingie isn't that big.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home